Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mint Juleps are made with WHAT ?

Cedar Grove Mansion - Vicksburg, MS. A view of the rear of the house.

A view from the front.

Robert's first (and last) real Mint Julep.

One of the over 40 cannon shots to hit the house during the War between the States.


We had read about Vicksburg and the Battle of Vicksburg National Park in Joss' book called "1000 things to see before you die". Since we were only 200 miles away via I-20 in East Texas, we decided to come to Mississippi before going to Louisiana.

One of the restored homes from back in the day is the Cedar Grove Estate. It is a B&B now that offers tours and a full restaurant (dinner only). We had read that the Mint Julep was invented in Vicksburg so we thought this should be a good place to get one. As the restaurant is only open for dinner at 5pm, the bar wasn't open either. After seeing the disappointment on my face, the very kind (southern hospitality) lady behind the desk had someone make a Mint Julep up just for me. It was a complete surprise when we came back in from the gardens ready to take the tour and she presented me with the drink!

Well now, being from Southern California we've been to Disneyland many times. The favorite part of the park for me has always been New Orleans Square. What with the Pirates of the Carribean (Arrgh, dead men tell no tales!) and the Haunted Mansion (There's always...our way out!) I always get the most out of this section of the park. That includes a Mint Julep from the concession also. The Julep's at D-land are a refreshing, minty drink so I thought one from the birthplace of the drink would have to be outstanding.

NO ONE TOLD ME THEY WERE MADE WITH BOURBON!

I don't care for bourbon or pretty much any type of whiskey so I was quite surprised when I took my first sip. I didn't say anything and Joss asked if she could have a sip. Before she took a sip, the boys asked if they could have a taste and she said yes. I figured after she tried it, she wouldn't let them have any. I was wrong! I was talking with our host and not paying attention to what they were doing. Joss isn't much of a drinker (i.e. almost never) and she didn't recognize the bourbon taste, what with all the sugar, water and mint, so she let them try it. Needless to say, the boys hated it and Joss' mouth about hit the floor when I asked what was in it and was told Bourbon!

We took the tour and I nursed the green concoction the whole time. I think next time, I'll stick to that other green minty drink, the Mojito!

No comments: